Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to satisfy the following outcomes:
· Module 1
· Describe the role of an organization’s leadership in deciding the overall purpose, vision, and mission of an organization, and discuss how the vision and mission statements become the foundation of strategic choice.
· Evaluate the mission, vision, and values statements of a session-long organization selected by the student.
· Evaluate the extent to which monitoring of the external environment assists the organization to best adapt to the threats and opportunities existing within the external environment.
· Discuss the ways in which environmental opportunities and threats serve to limit strategic choice.
· Turn the organization’s vision and mission into action, applying the Grand Strategy Matrix and the BCG Matrix as tools to determine an organization’s “grand strategy.”
· Assess the extent to which an organization’s culture is supportive of the organization’s strategic direction.
· Identify the stated values of an organization, assessing the extent to which the organization’s sense of “morality” (values) aligns with its strategic choices.
I enjoyed learning about the 15 Grand Strategies and the Grand Strategy Matrix in Module 3
Strategic Management: 15 Grand Strategies. (2012, March 1). Cal Miramar University. Podcast retrieved on April 29, 2014, from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llKFeqZvZis
Grand Strategy Matrix. (2010). MBA Tutorials. Retrieved on April 29, 2014, from http://www.mba-tutorials.com/strategy/1145-grand-strategy-matrix.html