Evidence Based Practice in HealthCare/Assessment 1: Plan for the Case study
Requirements & marking guide
Application is the best way to enhance your learning, therefore it is required that you apply EBP process to the case study that follows. This application will take place over the first two pieces of the assessment. The two assignments are linked together in that assessment 1 is preparatory for assessment 2 in which (assessment 2) you will apply the principles of evidence-based practice (EBP). By doing assessment 1, you will be applying the first two steps of EBP process. • Identification of the MOST important NURSING need/ problem to be addressed; • development of the guiding/ clinical (answerable) question; These two steps are the most important ones in EBP in that they formulate the base for the subsequent steps. In other words, if these two steps are not correct, the next steps will not be appropriate. Therefore, the first assignment is a chance to obtain feedback that you will employ in producing assignment 2 that incorporates all steps of EBP
The Case Study
David is a 56 years man living with his wife (Barbara) and two children in South Perth, Western Australia. David is a professional accountant working from 09: 00 to 17: 00 hours Monday to Friday. David was enjoying the life with his family until recently when he developed chest tightness with sweating while he was walking in the bush during a family trip. David did not take these symptoms seriously, and believed this was exhaustion because of the prolonged walk. However, David accepted his wife’s suggestion to consult the family General Practitioner (GP) because the same symptoms happened a few weeks ago while gardening. She also pointed out that David’s father had passed away because of a heart attack. Barbra booked a time with Christopher (the GP). Christopher assessed David, and requested some further investigations (blood tests and electrocardiogram). Christopher advised that David is required to avoid alcohol consumption for 24 hours and to fast for at least 12 hours prior doing these blood tests. Christopher added, “These tests are to establish your lipid profile that includes your cholesterol (HDL, LDL & total cholesterol) plus triglycerides. Also, your obesity and age prolife concerns me David, so it is important to check your fasting blood glucose level. For the moment, I recommend that you avoid strenuous physical activities and stressful situations. If you experienced another attach of chest pain, you need to stop what you are doing, rest and have someone take you to the emergency department of the nearest hospital as this could be an indication of heart attack. The situation worried David for a number of reasons. He was naturally concerned for himself. His lovely wife has a history of breast cancer, and so he has concerns for his wife and their children as well. David’s work is the only source of income for the family.
Some important points to consider while preparing/ writing this assessment item:
• You will need an introduction and conclusion to this assignment.
• Headings are recommended – you might like to use the ‘key points’ above.
• Include cover sheet, title and contents pages and end-text reference list.
• Dot points are not acceptable – this must be written in essay style format.
• NB* this assignment is a plan of an essay about the selection of evidence for application to practice so you are NOT required to discuss detailed pathophysiology or clinical care. Rather, your discussion should focus on demonstrating the importance of the problem that you have identified and formulating a question that can be answered by examining the published literature (available evidence). The answerable question has elements; you need to make sure that all these elements are included in your question.
• Make sure you use the marking criteria to focus your preparation and discussion
. • Please remember that:
All cited references should be credible resources including peer reviewed published journal articles.
The principle of assessing the adequacy of your references is that the every piece of information should be supported with appropriate citation. So, there is no minimum number of references required.
A wide range of references is required
Cite contemporary resources (not older than 7 years). • The word count can be +/- 10%. Therefore, the word limit of your essay is 500 words +/- 10% (50 words). If it is beyond that, penalties will apply.
• In-text references are counted with the word limit.
• Please state your word count on the title page.
Explanation of the Rubric of Assessment 1 (Plan for the case study analysis)
This will cover the following aspects:
1. 1- Selecting (from the case study) a nursing problem which will benefit the patient (David) Identify the MOST important NURSING need/ problem to be addressed (there is a need for evidence into an );
1. 2- Developing an answerable question. Student frames succinct answerable question relevant to client needs that will effectively guide search for evidence. Convert the need for evidence into an answerable question
Application of critical thinking: This will cover the aspect that concerns providing coherent evidence-based rational to support the choice of the problem
Refer to SNM assignment writing guidelines
Presentation & Referencing:
Refer to SNM assignment writing guidelines
For this assignment you are required to:
1. Identify the MOST important NURSING need/ problem to be addressed (there is a need for evidence into an );
2. Convert the need for evidence into an answerable question
What we need/ what you have to do for this assignment
2. Tell us what the problem is (you are focusing on)
3. Justify your selection
4. write an answerable question.
A good introduction tells the reader:
• what the essay (case study) is all about in general,
• a little bit about why it is important and then
• outlines what the reader can expect to read (what is to come).
The problem and question
• This is the main thing in your assignment.
• You might start it with a heading: (somethingshould relate to the content of the paragraph).
• Here you should discuss which problem you have chosen to focus on and why. NB there is no ‘right’ problem to focus on – all of her problems need attention – you just have to tell us why you think the one you have chosen should be attended to.
• This should be a problem for David that you as a nurse can do something about. Something you can find the answer to by searching the literature for (to find current best practice).
• Consider components of the answerable question.
• A ‘good’ conclusion should summarise all the points raised in the preceding discussion:
• Then your reference list
• NB – I do not stipulate a set number of references. If you make a statement of fact, if must be referenced, e.g. “Researchers should demonstrate how they maintained validity in their study (ref)”.
• Your articles/ research reports must be referenced as you discuss them and be included in the end-text referencing.
• Your argument should be supported with references that are required to be relevant, up-to-date (not older than 7 years) demonstrating an awareness of the literature in the field. Your references should contain peer reviewed journal articles. Web based material must be from reputable (peer-reviewed) sites. There is no minimum number of required references that every idea should be supported with appropriate citation. You are required to follow the APA referencing guidelines
• You will need to start with an introduction that lets the reader know what the coming assignment is all about.
• You will need a conclusion that sums up the whole discussion.
• Make sure you use the marking criteria as a guideline for ‘ideal’ requirements
• Use headings to keep yourself on the right track
• Write in the third person
• This must be in essay format (no dot points).
• Number of references: no set number but you will probably find yourself using
• Number of words: you do not need to ‘fill up’ the 500 words – these are there because I know some of you may need them.
• You do need to include cover sheet, table of contents etc.