Goal: To examine the positive and negative aspects of group/team development. Using critical thinking skills to write a paper on what managers can do to encourage a healthy team environment. This week’s assignment gives the student an opportunity to investigate how the relationship among team members shape employee behavior. The exercise will provide insight into how managers influence the direction of team cohesion. Completion of this assignment will strengthen understanding of empowerment and communications.
The idea of teamwork continues to be popular, some may say, a necessity in today’s competitive environment. Successful companies such as Apple, Inc., WalMart, Target, to name a few, pride themselves on success through teamwork. But, teamwork does not simply happen. The manager must work hard to ensure there is balance between the needs of the team and the needs of the individuals who make up the team.
Watch the following video:
[CRM Learning, L.P.]. (2008, July 7). Abilene paradox, communication training, organizational behaviors, accountability. [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_iGdiYO7gI
This video is a synopsis of the Abilene Paradox and how group think influences decision making within a group. The Abilene Paradox is a story of a group of individual who agree on a course of action based on the theory that it is best for the group, despite going against the preferences of the members of the group.
In this assignment, you will write a 3 to 4-page paper on the positive and negative aspects of teamwork. Your paper should address the following guidelines.
1. What is teamwork and how is it different from group work?
2. What are three (3) positive reasons why a manager would prefer working with teams?
3. What are three (3) negative reasons why a manager would prefer working with teams?
4. What are the similarities between the Abilene Paradox and groupthink?
5. Name at least three (3) ways a manager might strengthen team member commitment.
6. Name one local, national, or global organization that you feel represents success through teamwork.
Lessons you acquired from the video should be reflected in your paper. This is a critical thinking assignment. You research should not be limited to your course textbook. You are encouraged to review suggested reading material found in the Suggested Reading Material folder in this course. The Herzing online library is an excellent source for collecting scholarly material.
Your satisfactory completion of this assignment is based on the following criteria:
1. Accurate description and reference of all concepts and theories used in completing your paper.
2. Practical examples of concepts that lead to continuing interest in the topic.
3. Synthesis of concepts and theories from other course activities.
4. Well-organized, clearly presented work (free from excessive spelling and grammatical errors).
5. Properly cited sources using APA 6th edition.